Thursday, September 29, 2011

DX4850-27EU2 I5-2300 2.8G 6GB 1.5TB DVDRW W7HP GATEWAY RETAIL

DX4850-27EU2 I5-2300 2.8G 6GB 1.5TB DVDRW W7HP GATEWAY RETAIL

I bought one of these from another vendor with the intention of using it as a web server at a colocation data center. The first thing I did was remove the Microsoft operating system and install CentOS. This computer had a few very pleasant surprises that made me like it more than I expected.

Just below the DVD drive, at least on the refurbished unit I bought, there was an empty removable hard drive tray. I was able to pop a 1TB drive in this tray, slide it in to the computer, and just as easy as that I had 2.5 terabytes of storage. There was also room for yet another drive in an empty 3.5" internal bay that faces sideways.

The other pleasant surprise was that this PC is so quiet that I can barely hear it at all, even when I hold my ear right up to it. The CPU fan is tunneled directly to a side vent.

When sitting idle, connected to a live Internet connection, and running HTTP, MySQL, mail and other typical server processes as well as a highly tuned self defending firewall, and with the additional hard drive I added, this PC is drawing only 0.65 amperes, in other words about 77 watts with my line voltage of 119VAC. This is excellent power efficiency which is typical of the Intel i5 CPUs.

I'm very pleased. If the computer had not been pre-infested with a Microsoft operating system I would have given it 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment